It doesn't seem like three years. When I visited Mom this morning she didn't have a clue that it has been three years since "her friend" went to Heaven. Actually, he is a distant, fond memory to her. The only image she can recognize is the picture of them walking down Market Street in San Francisco when they were first married. I can't even remember how many years they would have been married. I'm thinking at least 65 years.
I noticed recently that some of their pictures are put away in her drawers. At first I thought it was because the memory was too painful. Now I realize it is because Mom doesn't recognize the people in the pictures. I don't understand dementia. I'm not even sure of my role in this process. From what I have researched I know there will come a day when Mom doesn't know who I am anymore. Tyler and I treasure each day. I take care of her daily needs and he sits and watches TV with her while raiding her candy dish.
Life is good.


No comments:
Post a Comment