Friday, January 7, 2011

Read



My friend Hilary just passed away. I am very, very sad. We shared a love for bringing a student to their utmost potential ~~ regardless of the method. We met with our students in the teachers' lounge during 7th and 8th period every day. We met with the toughest of the tough. They didn't care about learning or school at all. Somehow, over the course of the year we formed a close knit group of "learners". At the end of the year our students knew their times tables hands down. They could play Yatzee on the tournament level. Five paragraph essay? No problem! Table manners? Slumping in their chairs? Progress was even made in these areas.

In fact...when seen in a public arena lately one student asked

"Are you still teaching? I hope so"

I can't ask for anything more. Thank you Hilary for your mentoring.

No comments: