Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lenten Rose

Meet the Lenten Rose which isn't really a rose at all. This beautiful flower has a long history including roots in witchcraft. You'd think I'd run the other way with that being said but this flower is very prolific during Lent, the season when most of us are thinking of what ugliness we can shed.

When I was growing up catholic we always shared "what we were giving up for Lent". Mostly it was chocolate or candy of some sort because we didn't watch much TV nor did we have any access to computers at all.

Old habits die hard so this year when the first day of Lent came around I took an inventory of what growth I would like to see in my own life during this season of reflection. For as long as I can remember I've been an overly sensitive person. I can see the look on your face and just know that you are in need of a hug or a prayer. This being said, I cannot stand drama! I prefer a quiet rhythm to life. So this year I am striving for this "quietness and trust which leads to rest". I'm trying to be vigilant as to what my eyes see, what my ears hear and what brings my heart closer to Jesus.

How does this flesh out in real life you ask? Well, not listening to idle gossip, choosing to walk away from confrontation, choosing life giving music (not everything on Klove is for me) and most of all screening negativity and criticism out of my life. I'll let you know how this works.

No comments: