I watched this beautiful movie earlier this evening. If you or a loved one have breast implants please watch this or make sure you are always ok by checking in with your doctor.
Many years ago, maybe 10 or 11 I had my regular Mammogram and you know the drill... they make you stay until they are sure the films are ok. Well, I was asked to hang out awhile in the cafeteria until the radiologist had a chance to review the films. That was fine, I was up for some ice cold lemonade. Ten minutes later the technician shows up and escorts me to the ultrasound room. After many conference calls I'm told that I need to see Dr. Persky our well known breast cancer specialist. At that point life took on that surreal slow motion effect where everyone else is talking normally but I was underwater only hearing a blur of words. Thank goodness for Lizzie. She drove me to the surgeon, sat through the unsuccessful needle biopsy and helped me make the appt. for the next morning's surgery. Going into surgery I was prepared for the worst. Did I want reconstructive surgery if necessary? At that point I distinctly remember knowing I wasn't going to have the offending tissue removed and then replaced by something my body wouldn't recognize and then reject. I woke up bruised, stitched and sore but cancer free with a huge dent where healthy tissue once resided.
Months went by and it came time for our annual trip to Ft. Bragg to our favorite bed and breakfast to celebrate our anniversary. I planned a horseback ride on the beach for Al as my present to him. I'll share that hilarious story for another post. We had talked long and hard about my recovery and my scar. His gift to me was a beautiful dragonfly tattoo which encompassed the length of my ugly scar. Best friends do this sort of thing for each other all the time.


No comments:
Post a Comment