Thursday, December 6, 2007

Little Drummer Boy



Just looking at my Jenny's post tonight reminded me of simpler times. My favorite illustrator is Eloise Wilkins. I think I have read every book published (that she has illustrated) to my children. She just seems to capture the simplicity of raising children in a wholesome manner-- with routine, good food and exercise. Just think...drive through, fast food was not an option! Outside programs (valuable as they are-- AWANA, Scouts, Soccer etc.) were not available. Life revolved around home and hearth.

STOP--BREATHE...Just what can we cut out of our lives to make it simpler, calmer, healthier...?

6 comments:

jenny said...

Actually, adding some of those things makes my life calmer! AWANA means time to grocery shop and run a few errands.

I love her illustrations, too! I crack up, though, when I read We Help Mommy. These kids have to be under 5 years of age to be home with their mom during the day, but have you noticed all the things they have to do to help her? Unpack the groceries, vacuum, dust, make pies--all before lunch time! That's why life seemed more simple back then. Mama knew how to run her roost!

Lizzie said...

that's because their mama was sitting back with a cocktail and a virginia slim.

jenny said...

I missed that...it must have been in the sequel, We Help Mommy II?

Although, in We Help Daddy, Daddy's smoking a pipe every picture.

Lizzie said...

Actually I believe the titles were: we take mama to AA and we hook daddy up to oxygen. I could be wrong though.

jenny said...

Maybe, but you gotta hand it to them...the house was always clean and the lawn, perfectly manicured. Sis can bake a killer apple pie, and brother can trim a mean hedge--into any animal shape even!

~nanashouse~ said...

You guys are soo funny!! Actually, back in the day, breakfast was black coffee and a cigarette. (no lie, that's what grandma had)

Way to pop my nostaligic bubble!!