Monday, February 20, 2012

Growing Up Pre-Kindle

How many of you remember this page in the book "How Shall I Tell My Daughter?"

All I can remember is, lucky girl, she has a pretty room and a pink bra. Her mother must really love her.
Or how about this one? Who likes getting their first period? Really? Must be some kind of TV girl with a perfect mother.

All this to say, there is a strong case for the printed word. The printed word that we can hide away in our drawer, backpack or under the bed for those times when we just need to read in privacy. No screens that have a memory. No brothers that can possibly "borrow" our Kindle. We can be safe in our own time and space to digest all that life is bringing on.

I know I'll eventually come alongside all of you enlightened ones that flip through those screens and really look great doing so. As for me, I wish someone, anyone would publish a really pretty booklet on getting old and losing all those functions we feared attacking us so many years ago.






No comments: