Friday, January 25, 2008

Ebenezer Stone

Samuel took a large stone and placed it between the towns of Mizpah and Jeshanah. He named it Ebenezer—"the stone of help"—for he said, "Up to this point the Lord has helped us!" —1 Samuel 7:12, NLT

Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,interposed his precious blood.
—Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing

I have a small stone in my china cabinet to remind me that each day is new; that whatever happened yesterday, I can begin anew today. I look to this stone often (especially when I am feeling despair). It helps to remind me of how far God has brought me from a few years ago when I couldn't speak or join the rest of you in "regular" life. I write this not to draw attention to myself or my depression but to encourage those who at times feel like there is just no good reason to go on.

Find a stone, raise it up and "begin".

2 comments:

gramma said...

What a blessing - that would be a great devotional for a ladies meeting. Rejoicing for you!

jenny said...

I've always loved the idea of having an Ebenezer stone.