The highlight of my week when I was in 5th grade was Library Day. I lived and breathed books at that age. Nancy Drew?? She was my best friend! Rumer Godden? She was a distant relative who sent beautiful Japanese dolls to me. Miss Happiness and Miss Flower were household words in my 5th grade year. I even made a Japanese doll house for my little sister's dolls that year.
The Littles found their way into our everyday imagination. Nancy Drew not only solved mysteries but she dated Ned in a very chaste way!
One of our teachers, Mrs. Madison, fills a basket of books for her 2nd/3rd grade class. I remember such a basket in the entry way of our house in Alameda. We had a beautiful stained glass window that just seemed to welcome all to read...
Monday, February 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I just re-read Miss Happiness and Miss Flower last year! It's so sweet.
One pf my favorite memories was going to the Alameda library! I think that is where I fell in love with books.
I always loved the way the library smelled when I was a kid. The books I checked out always had the same smell too. My favorite books to check out were Nancy Drew mysteries and another series about a young girl written in the '50's. I can't remember what they were called though. But, I do remember that I really enjoyed them. How fun to remember that....I haven't thought of it in years. I do remember checking out another book there for girls, and it was about beauty. One thing stands out in my memory- there was a beauty tip to put mayonnaise on your face. I don't remember what it was supposed to do, but I did it, and it felt really yucky....I didn't do it again. :D
I loved the Alameda Library, too! The adult library was gorgeous--very Baroque, and the children's library was that old house with the steep passage leading into the adult library.
Post a Comment