Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Starts


There is something exciting about a new project. I have the new mixed in with the finished and the "almost done" in my knitting basket. Starting something new seems to recharge me!
And so it is with the new year. I don't make lists of resolutions but I do sit down with my Bible and pray about one or two specific goals for the year to come.
In 2008 I prayed "Let me not seek a life of ease" and "Help me to be a blessing to others".
I had one of the toughest years because of these two goals but ~~ one of the most blessed years also.
This year ~ 2009 ~ my goals are to develop a spirit of servant hood and to spend time pondering God's Word and what He is teaching me. This might entail memorizing portions of scripture or just being quiet and listening more. I checked on the definition of ponder and found its roots in the word "weigh" (not one of my favorite words!) The premise being to weigh carefully in the mind with thoroughness and care. To think quietly, soberly and deeply.
Hmm...I think I will actually have to sit still for this one!
I am curious to see what God brings about this year.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

I love to ponder!!

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

I, too, only find one or two goals for myself each year... thoughtful focus rather than unrealistic chaos! And one of mine is to *ponder* as well... together, my friend.