Saturday, August 23, 2008

Once a Month Cooking


Once-a-Month Cooking is not a new idea. Laura Ingalls had to plan her meals around trips to town. Even those trips were dependent on the arrival of staples and dry goods by train or stagecoach.
Ever since my life became "supercharged busy" I have been challenged to prepare a menu that covers two weeks (our pay period). Our daughter Lizzie is doing the same and saving lots of money (and time).
I did a lot of cooking today in preparation for the next two weeks. I still have much prep work to do since I am just getting back into the swing of planning ahead. Several years ago, when we were on a broken shoestring budget, I planned ahead for our meals and meal planning with a calendar posted on the fridge. That way, whoever came home first could start prepping the meal or setting the table with dishes that would complement our meal.
This is where bargain linens and thrift store plates come in handy. It is now "Chic" to set a mismatched table :-) For more hints, visit 4reluctantentertainers.com.
So, tomorrow morning~~the banana breads are ready. The coffee is ready to brew. Cereal is ready to pour for "you know who".
Only 29 1/2 days to go!!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

I love what you've done with your blog. It makes me feel so good!