Sunday, October 21, 2007

Shopping Malls


Just look at this picture. When I was a little girl my Nana would want to take us to Stonestown for lunch and shopping. We would change out of our play clothes and dress in our "to town" clothes. When we arrived at Stonestown we would eat lunch at the "Big E", the Emporium. Then we would walk around the mall ( all outdoor, one level) and shop along with our Nana. I remember the smells (real leather, real perfume, real stationery) and the sight of everyone dressed up for shopping.
We went to the mall today and boy, were we out of place. I realize we live in the country, but we are not unaccustomed to shopping! The things that made us feel out of our element were the clothing (or lack of), and the general disrespect for other people (pushing, shoving, swearing...) At one kiosk a group of vendors were using dental floss on customer's faces. I wasn't sure if it was some sort of torture or what. My thirteen year old granddaughter had to tell me it was a waxing treatment. Hello Beverly Hillbillies, I think I am one of your relatives!

2 comments:

jenny said...

My Nana used to take me here for lunch, too!

emyann said...

One of my fondest memories is going shopping with Grandma in the city. After shopping, we would go back to her house and have international dellights powdered french vanilla and play cards...I was only 10! Maybe that is why I LOVE vanilla lattes!