
I am halfway through a great book titled "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver.
If you have read "The Bean Trees" or "The Poisonwood Bible", you will already know that Ms. Kingsolver has a rich vocabulary that draws you right into her story.
This book is no different. Have you ever stopped to consider how far your spinach has traveled to reach your plate? Are your tomatoes in season or have they traveled the globe to mesh with your salad tonight?
This is not comfortable reading--but if you are reading this blog you are already accustomed to the "uncomfortable". Take the time to look into where your food comes from. If possible, could you support a local grower of your favorite menu items? I have found really tasty, organic salad greens at our local farmers market. The strawberries, nectarines and green peppers are unsurpassed in flavor. Our local bakery has organic sourdough breads, coupled with local basil had our recent wedding guests happily fed. Bottom line...where does your food come from? If it has traveled more than 100 miles to reach your plate, you are paying too much in terms of nutrition AND profit to your local growing community. Many farmers are growing corn and soybeans not for nutrition but for FUEL. Wouldn't you rather feed families with wholesome, nutritious, food than fill a gas tank?
Think....

3 comments:
I love The Poisonwood Bible. That os my favorite Kingsolver book. THis one sounds right up Penny's alley!
The Poisonwood Bible--is that the one with the lady who can top everyone's woes? If you had a 9 pound baby, she had a 10 pounder?
I don't remember that part. Probably because I was busy pushing out my 9 1/2 lb. baby!
Post a Comment